Cooking is an enjoyable activity for most, but it can sometimes get messy.
You’ve managed to build your dream kitchen, and after some time, you start to notice stains on your cabinets. Is it possible to restore them to their original state? Yes!
Stains are common; therefore, it’s essential to understand some best practices to help you clean them without causing damage.
Dusting your cabinets daily to remove dirt will help you improve your kitchen’s appeal and avoid future stains.
Let’s explore some best practices to help your kitchen cabinets last a lifetime.
How to Clean Stains on Wood Cabinets
We’ll guide you through three DIY techniques that can help you bring your cabinets back to life.
Wood needs to be handled with care to avoid it from rotting, growing mold or splitting apart.
To understand how to tackle different stains, we categorize them into three distinct groups: difficult, moderate, and soft.
- We recommend tackling the most difficult stains with sodium bicarbonate and vegetable oil
- Tackle moderate stains with laundry or dishwashing detergent
- Soft pigments with distilled white vinegar
Let’s look at these three methods to clean greasy wooden cabinets.
Method #1. Vinegar for soft stains
- Mix distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle. If your cabinets are delicate, try adding warm water to the solution to avoid damaging the wood.
- Add the spray to the cabinets without dampening them thoroughly, and let it rest for about five to ten minutes.
- Respray the cabinets and clean them with a microfiber cloth.
- Repeat until the stain disappears.
Method #2. Detergents for moderate stains
- Fill a bucket with warm water and add a small dishwashing detergent.
- Damp a microfiber cloth in the mix and get rid of excess water.
- Clean the cabinets gently.
- Repeat the process until the stain fades away.
- Be careful with the amount of detergent you’ll be using.
- If you feel unsure about this method, we’ll mention some valuable products to help you clean your cabinets.
Method #3. Sodium bicarbonate for difficult stains*
* Some materials may react to sodium bicarbonate. So, make sure to test the mixture before applying.
- Prepare a mix of sodium bicarbonate and vegetable oil in a bowl.
- Mix until it’s thick.
- Before putting the mixture directly on your cabinets, try it out on a less prominent part of the cabinet, such as the inside door, and see how it reacts.
- Cover your flooring with newspaper or cloth.
- Apply the mixture directly on top of the stained area.
- Use a sponge and scrub it counterclockwise.
- Use a clean and wet microfiber cloth to remove the stain.
- If there are difficult or stretched areas, use a toothbrush to clean the surface gently.
Read the ultimate guide here if you want to know more about cleaning your kitchen cabinets thoroughly.
Next, let’s look at some of the most valuable products to clean your cabinets if you prefer buying something pre-mixed.
Best Products to Clean Kitchen Cabinets
Make sure to ask the professionals which product is right for your kitchen. In the meantime, here are three cleaning products that will help you keep your kitchen cabinets beautiful.
- Gel Gloss Cabinet Cleaner 24 oz
A professional-grade cabinet cleaner designed for all-natural wood and laminate surfaces.
- Therapy Clean, Wood & Cabinet, Cleaner & Polish with Essential Oils, 16 fl oz
Reveals lustrous shine and guards against grime with plant-based cleaning agents you can feel good about!
- Nhance Wood Cabinet Cleaner
Bring back the beauty of the wood in your home. This product cleans wood cabinets and furniture without leaving a dirt-attracting residue.
The Dos and Don’ts of Kitchen Cabinet Cleaning
Here’s a quick checklist of cleaning activities that will keep your cabinets looking new.
What you shouldn’t do is:
- Don’t soak your cabinets
- Don’t use chemicals you’re unsure of using
- Don’t let the water go into the hinges
- Don’t attempt to clean tough spots with baking soda
Learn more about best practices by reading the full article here.
Keeping your kitchen clean will undoubtedly give your home a warm, welcoming environment and help you avoid costly repairs. Ensure you hire professionals when it’s time to help you achieve the kitchen of your dreams.
There are many ways to use your kitchen space wisely and make your work functional. All of our designers focus on listening to your needs and planning accordingly; they’ve made some eye-opening makeovers while integrating kitchens into your home’s personality.
If you wish to see some of these uplifting kitchen transformations and the benefits you’ll get from choosing Davis Kitchens as your top kitchen designer, watch these short videos from past projects. They’ll help you have a clear vision of what to expect and motivate you to start your remodeling project.